Cockroaches are one of the most dreaded household pests. And if you are noticing more cockroaches than ever, there’s a reason why! While they’re a common pest problem for homes and businesses throughout the entire year, they are especially prolific in the summertime here in Lubbock TX. Most species are drawn to the heat and humidity, which encourages them to breed at a more rapid rate. Because infestations can be so large this time of year, it’s crucial to learn how to keep cockroaches out of your property in the first place. The team at Bug Out is here to share tips on keeping cockroaches away from Lubbock TX properties this summer and all year long.
Keep Cockroaches Out With These Tips
As with all pests, the best way to not get an infestation is to actively prevent them! Some of the best ways to keep cockroaches out include:
- Inspecting the perimeter of your home and seal cracks and crevices. Seal windows and doors or install screens.
- Keeping a clean kitchen and bathroom. Wipe or clean up any spills or messes quickly.
- Picking up pet food bowls after mealtimes. Try to avoid leaving food out overnight.
- Securely storing all food in tight-fitting airtight containers, and refrigerating unsealed food.
- Ensuring your garbage cans are sealed with a tight-fitting lid, and routinely take it out.
- Avoiding leaving piles of clutter or junk both inside and outside of your property.
- Promptly fixing any leaky pipes or clogged rain gutters to avoid moisture problems.
Are Roach Infestations Dangerous?
Cockroaches are infamous for being hardy insects that can withstand a number of harsh conditions. During the winter months, some will be less active. When the temperatures rise here in Lubbock TX, roaches will come out in hoards. The warmth and humidity encourages roaches to breed at a more rapid rate. When they get inside, they can quickly spread to kitchens, bathrooms, basements, and more. Not only are they gross, but roaches actually spread bacteria and germs that can contaminate food items. They also are known to trigger allergic reactions in certain individuals.
What to Do When You Have a Summer Roach Problem
If you see even one cockroach, there are often many more hidden nearby. Getting rid of cockroaches is no job for an amateur, and DIY control efforts can simply worsen the problem. Always contact your local cockroach exterminators at Bug Out when you have a summer roach infestation.